As a student with low vision who attended public school, I have learned a lot about how to make print and digital materials accessible for me. Here are the accommodations I received for print materials with low vision. I received large print and did not use Braille.
- 22 point bold Arial font, on 8.5 x 11 blue/yellow paper
- Digital high resolution graphics as needed along with image descriptions
- Books through Bookshare and Barnes and Noble.
- All About Bookshare
- eReaders and Low Vision
- How To Write Alt Text and Image Descriptions for the Visually Impaired
- 22 point bold Arial font, on 11 x 17 off white paper.
- Maps outlined in black Sharpie and the symbols enlarged 500%.
- High resolution graphics provided digitally on my laptop and on the class projector
- This class did not use textbooks
- How To Create High Resolution Images For Users With Low Vision
- How To Make Things On The Board Easier To See
- My High School Laptop
- 22 point bold Arial font on 8.5 x 11 blue/yellow paper.
- Accent marks outlined in black Sharpie.
- Pictures were often eliminated.
- Textbooks and workbooks through AIM-VA
- My Eight Favorite Free Fonts For Print Disabilities
- What’s in my Bag- High School Edition
- All About AIM-VA
- 22 point bold Arial font on 11 x 17 blue/yellow paper.
- Specific accommodation to use Sharpie pens instead of pencils.
- Graphs were either presented as high resolution images or outlined in black Sharpie.
- Textbooks from AIM-VA.
- Five Websites That Help Students With Low Vision In The Math Classroom
- Five Calculator Apps That Help Students With Low Vision In The Classroom
- How To Create Tactile Images With Everyday Objects
- 22 point bold Arial font on 11 x 17 blue paper.
- Graphs and images presented digitally.
- Lab partner that can help with reading information during labs
- Textbooks from AIM-VA and Amazon.
- 5 Apps That Help Students With Low Vision In The Science Classroom
- How Do People With Vision Impairments Complete Science Labs?
- How To Buy Digital Textbooks
- Music enlarged 250%-300% on 11 x 17 off white paper that was cut into segments for easier page turns.
- Dynamics and other markings were highlighted with black Sharpie.
- Digital PDF files so I could play music on my iPad as needed
- How To Make Music Accessible With Microsoft Publisher
- My Large Print Music Binder
- How Do People With Vision Impairments Participate In Concert Band?